It is believed that the castle was constructed in the 13th century in the times of Birger Jarl's Second Swedish Crusade but there is nothing to firmly prove it. In the mid-16th century it started to lose its significance and was later abandoned. The Russians briefly seized it during the Northern War. When Finland became part of the Russian empire, the castle was turned into a prison. It served as such until 1953, when massive restoration work started.